Monday, December 10, 2012

Time Travel


There is a certain cleft chin on this one... 


... but no one could figure out where it came from for a long time.

Grandma Leslie solved part of the mystery awhile back while I was going through some old family photos when she suddenly said, "That man in the picture – he has a cleft chin!".

The man in the picture turned out to be my great-great grandfather Herbert alongside his wife Maria: 


They are posing for a photo that must have been taken circa 1900 in Russia. They were prosperous enough to afford a photo when photos weren't easy to come by and it's clear they had to stand quite still for it even though great-great-Grandfather Hubert looks like he's about to fall over despite the propping stick. I suspect there is another (and much bigger) stick just out of field on the right.

I don't know much about these people to be honest, but I do know that they were Germans living in Russia and not long after this picture was taken World War I happened and Germans weren't especially welcome after that. Many fled, giving up their land and livestock and only took the things they could carry.

The only reason I have the photos I do of my ancestors are because someone considered them important enough to carry. They travelled over land and sea and land again. It was a long journey. My Grandma was a 6 year old child at the time who showed up in Canada speaking 3 languages, none of which were English. English was her fourth language and she never lost her accent, even at 99. Herbert and Maria were too old to travel when they had to evacuate. They were put on a train – likely to Siberia – and they froze to death before they reached their destination.

There is another picture from happier times though, and although I'd looked at it before I only noticed the other "that man" a few days ago. He has a cleft chin too, but it's a small one like Seth's. He also has a certain smile I recognize and I'd be willing to bet "that man" had a few shenanigans up his heavy coat sleeve or at least a few tricks under his hat. 


I don't know who he is other than a distant relation from "the old country". I imagine he is related to Herbert, but whether he's a son or a grandson or a nephew or a cousin twice removed... well, that's anyone's guess.

The one thing I do know is that a certain chin made it's way through a lot of time and space to end up on Seth's face. 

I call it "Mommy's spot" and give it kisses especially often. 

As for time travel... I'd have to say it's definitely possible and even quite probable if you're willing to wait.

- L.

PS. This post wouldn't be complete without a picture of Nate who stood so still and was so good about it he eventually enticed his brother to stand still enough for a picture too. 


Nate also has a "Mommy's spot" and it's on his face also (and when I figure out how to take a photo of it you'll be the first to know). No worries – it gets plenty of kisses too.

No comments:

Post a Comment