Thursday, August 2, 2012

2 And A Half Men (Part II)

We kicked the post-breakfast festivities off yesterday afternoon with some fun in the backyard. I decided to liven things up in the pool area with some toy fishing rods and "fish" to catch since my boys aren't big on the pool (and by "not big on" I mean they pretty much hate it). I had hopes that my plan would ultimately coax them in there somehow, but it turned out they were able to fish just fine without setting foot in the pool at all.

The fishing gear at least was a pretty big hit:


... and for those who are familiar with the reference my boys were quick to say (with great delight):

"I's the b'y that builds the boat
And I's the b'y that sails her 
I's the b'y that catches the fish
And brings them home to Liza."

Followed by much giggling of course.

Nate thought the reel was the best part (we all kind of had a sneaking suspicion about that being the case though):

– Handle that turn and make noise? Now we're talkin'!

Seth on the other hand got busy catching fish in the pool:

– I do it for that Liza. She sound like a cutie.

At least when he wasn't busy giving M. a lesson on the finer points of fishing that is:


At some point, Nate moved on to the pylons, which both of my boys have an overly healthy obsession with whenever we see them on the street or in a book. We decided it might be fun for them to have a set of their own and it turns out we were right. Stacking them, lining them up, wearing them as "AAATS!" etc. A good time was had by all over the pylons:


And lastly, the Fisher Price Bubble Mower. We only bought one and let the boys know straight up that it was a sharing toy. Overall, they did pretty good with sharing but I think that had a lot to do with their distinctly varied interests over said toy.

Turns out Seth was pretty much a natural at mowing the grass... 


... to the extent that I'm halfway considering hiring him out next summer:

– I work on secondary skill set everyone,
in case original business venture not work out.

Nate on the other hand clearly mistook it for a riding mower and kept asking for someone to "push Nate now!":

– I think I complain about 'dis design flaw directly to manufacturer
as soon as I figures out how to do that.
'Dis toy should definitely ship with a "push the Nate" option.

He eventually made his peace with it not being a riding toy and instead got busy with his (other) Touching Finger* and launched a full scale investigation regarding as many of the working parts as he could reach:

– Where I stick fingers next? So many choices!

The "gas cap" was also of great interest:

– Also 'dis look like good place to stick finger!
*touch* *touch* *touch*

The afternoon's festivities were followed by dinner outside which was then followed by a very special dessert courtesy of Gamma Rita. These aren't home-made by the way, but they were very delicious! 



I think the boys enjoyed them a little too:


– What you mean I has something on face? 'Dis just what I saving for later.

– Cupcakes. Are. AWESOME!!!

- L. 

*The days of the original Touching Finger are long gone, but Nate still loves to get his fingers into pretty much everything. Push-buttons of any kind are always a hit, but there's nothing like the potential for a pinched finger to really get him going. I swear if this child makes it to adulthood with all of his digits intact it will be nothing short of a miracle.

• • • • • • •

PS. When the boys were winding down for bed my mom (AKA Gamma Rita) went over all the new fun things we did yesterday – everything from the new toys, the adventure walk we went on, the special dinner, etc. She left no stone unturned so to speak, and then she paused and asked her grandsons what their favorite part of the day was.

Without a second thought Nate declared it to be "the frosting!" and Seth followed up with "the cupcakes!" – which are more or less the same thing since it was really about the dessert. 

• • • • • • •

Note to self (and everyone else who attended): next time let's all save money on extra toys and just get cupcakes. Or maybe just a bucket of frosting and two spoons. Deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment