Sunday, May 27, 2012

"Fix The Nate!"

"Fix the Nate!" ended up taking the #1 spot on my list of favorites when it comes to the things my boys currently say. And by "ended up" I mean it was pretty much a landslide victory. There is absolutely no way that expression is going to disappear any time soon and truth be told, probably never. 

"Fix the Nate!" was borne one night not long after the cribs were transitioned into toddler beds and within a night or two after my boys decided sharing a bed was the way to go. It started with a bit of a skirmish over whose side of the bed was what now and ended up with a pile of toddlers in a mashed-up state on the same side of the bed.

At which point, Seth requested with a note of escalating alarm that I "Fix the Nate!".

And so I did. I "fixed the Nate" who at the time was more or less trying to sit on his brother's head – hence the alarm – and in hindsight was on the wrong side of the bed anyway*.

It all could have ended there that night and maybe wound up as a one-off post about something funny that was said once upon a time, except that the requests to "Fix the Nate!" keep rolling in – many of which were (and still are) from Nate himself.

Remember this photo? 


I originally captioned it "Mommy fix it!" which was legit since that was in fact something Nate actually said at the time. Not captioned (but equally legit) was Seth's missive to "Fix the Nate!" and Nate's own plea that followed "Mommy fix it!", which echoed his brother's sentiments:

"Fix the Nate!" 

- L.
• • • • • • • 

PS. "Fix the Seth!" has been known to show up here and there but it never seems to have the same enthusiasm behind it, nor has Seth ever put in a request for his own "fixing", in case you were wondering.

PPS. Also in case you were wondering, "Fix the Nate!" – at least for Nate – does sometimes mean Nate would like things fixed *for* "the Nate". You know, in case you were feeling badly that Nate is in perpetual need of "fixing". To the contrary, his own indications for "fixing" so far appear to be entirely self-serving.

• • • • • • • 

*It would appear that there is a right and wrong side of the bed when it comes to my boys since they started bedsharing. The only positions they will go to sleep in are left: Seth and right: Nate. This threw me for a loop the one night someone got sick in the preferred bed and I had to relocate everyone to the less preferred bed. I tucked Nate in against the back crib rail since I thought that was how things worked, but I was quickly corrected. Nate is only comfortable sleeping on the right side of Seth, while Seth is only comfortable sleeping on the left side of Nate.

And maybe it's all a crazy coincidence but that was also how they slept, navigated and played in the womb – heads together, Nate on the right and Seth on the left – and I'd almost buy the 50% odds of it being completely random if not for the fact that they're so incredibly insistent on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment