Saturday, April 21, 2012

That's A Machine, Alright!

Long before "That's a tse-tse, alright!" appeared on the scene, the phrase "That's a machine, alright!" came into being. I'm guessing it's something I must have said once in response to a query about whether something in particular was, in fact, a machine.

Truth be told, it's hard sometimes when you're outnumbered and I needed a way to indicate to my boys that things like a VCR or the washing machine are not toys, despite all the fun buttons. Pointing out that these items are a "machine" has actually worked for the most part.

Of course, I've never claimed this strategy is foolproof.

Every time I hear "that's a machine, alright" it always cracks me up a little – partly because it's a funny thing to hear a toddler saying, but mostly because my toddlers actually enunciate it as: 

"'Dat's a MAH-sheen, awright!".

It's typically a one-time comment so I never imagined I'd get them saying it on video. In fact, the day I did manage to capture one of my favorite phrases for posterity I nearly missed the boat since I had to do a mad dash for the camera and by the time I got back Nate was mostly interested in pushing the buttons on the dishwasher (a popular MAH-sheen around here) and not much into talking anymore, which was really a shame since "that's an XYZ alright" is very much a Nate-ism. Fortunately Seth picked up the slack that particular day. I didn't dare turn the focus of the camera around though lest Michigan J. Frog appear.

- L.

PS. Even without one of my favorite catch-phrases, I'd still be laughing. Watching Nate press the dishwasher buttons with as much effort as he's putting into it is so very Nate and his expression whenever he's concentrating that much on a task always makes me giggle at least a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment