Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's Day: The OP Gets Artsy

For the life of me I have no idea what possessed me to try out fingerpaints for the first time yesterday, especially since markers have been enough of a challenge.

Also we don't have any fingerpaint.

It was kind of a spur of the moment type thing, but it turns out that there are endless ways to make your own paint out of stuff you already have in your kitchen. And if you're limited on time like me because you decided to do it at nearly the last minute and don't have time for the stovetop paint-making recipes (which would involve cooling time and such), here's the one we went with in a nutshell:

• Combine 1 egg yolk* and 1/4 cup water. Add food coloring. Get painting.

And we did!




Markers or paints, I have to say my boys sure do love the Jackson Pollock approach

- L.

PS. I scanned some of the boys' finished works of art and while they look lovely, they don't show off the surprisingly cool feature of painting with egg yolk. I did my best to take a photo of it though:


It was hard to catch the light and take a pic, but egg yolk dries with a nice sheen and just a small amount of iridescence.

PPS. I would definitely do this project again. It was a less messy than markers (really!) and more fun for my boys than crayons.

• • • • • • • 

*The recipe indicated using 1 egg yolk per color, but I'd recommend halving the yolk/water mixture before adding food coloring. Really, a little goes a long way (even with two very busy painters).

No comments:

Post a Comment