Friday, May 13, 2011

15 Month Check-Up + Stats


– Hi everyone. Is me, Nate. Don't worry, I still has all my hair. Turns out I is only 6 months old in 'dis photo. Mommy find it on her camera not too long ago after memory card get fixed and is apparently too cute not to post. Also, is relevant since I is about to get a check-up.


– While I wait long time ago for nice doctor, I get a little busy with paper sheet to pass the time.


– Or a lot busy depending on how you look at things. It fill in time nicely. Try it next time doctor keep you waiting. Was big hit. Bigger hit than how I usually spend my time on paper sheet anyway.

•   •   •   •   • 

Mommy note: Nate speaks the truth. These pics were downloaded along with the infamous playdate photos back in March and I have no idea how they were overlooked back when they were originally taken. These were definitely too cute not to share.

Nate also speaks the truth about typically finding other uses for that paper sheet as he is notorious for christening every exam table and/or scale at our pediatrician's office at this point. He knows how to choose his moments I suppose. At this point, I'm only surprised when there isn't an incident. His timing is pretty much legendary.

I mention this only because this was our first visit with the pedi where it was suddenly OK to do the weigh-ins with diapers on.

As though there was a change in policy for some reason.

Weird, I know.

Nevertheless, here are the recent stats (although weights may be slightly inflated due to said suspicious new policy):

Nate: 23 lbs. (10.4 kg.) | 32 in. (81 cm.)

Seth: 21.5 lbs. (9.9 kg.) | 31.75 in. (80.5 cm.)

The good news: even though no one sent any sandwiches, Seth appears to be back in the 10th percentile for weight. Although that is on the lower end, it is consistent with his growth curve – which, like his brother, appears to be mainly spent on vertical pursuits (my future basketball all-stars are both solidly upwards of the 75th percentile for height).

In lieu of the sandwiches that no one sent (seriously, not one sandwich!) – and on the recommendation of our pediatrician – I've been adding heavy cream to Seth's bottles of milk (2-3 oz. per 8 oz. bottle) as well as providing a relatively high-fat diet for both my guys. Olive oil and butter are regular additives to anything they can be added to around here. It sounds contrary to good health, but as fats go these are considered "healthy fats" and when you have skinny babies you do what you need to do to avoid the negative percentiles (which actually exist) and a diagnosis of FTT (failure to thrive).

In other news: since we all share many of the same foods it's become obvious that I'm most certainly thriving – although by "thriving" I mostly just mean my pants are getting tight.

And lastly, news that initially gave me epic Mommy panic, but turned out to be nothing-to-panic-about news (according to the pedi, Dr. Google and other mommies who have been there): Seth has a heart murmur. Specifically a flow-murmur which is apparently very common and not a cause for concern or alarm. 50% of children have this at some point and it simply resolves itself in time.

The pediatrician could only hear the murmur when Seth was laying down, which I suppose is neither here nor there since it's a benign affliction, but I have to say I definitely felt a sudden need to lay down myself when I could see she was taking an unusually long time checking his heart. It was one of those moments where a part of you desperately wants to ask what's wrong and an equal share of you is hoping just as desperately that nothing is wrong and that maybe you're imagining how long a routine exam is taking.

In the end it was somewhere in the middle: there was a good reason for things taking so long, but the reason is nothing to worry about. I hope. Let's just be glad the pedi wasn't checking my heart at the time – the loud knocking about probably would have broken her stethoscope and damaged her hearing all at the same time and it's probably best to leave both intact for future visits.

- L.

No comments:

Post a Comment